3 Vallees Dream

 

Hi hi, It's been a really strange start to the season, I could say it's bad luck or bad timing or bad planning but things just haven't worked out like how i had in mind, But in a weird way i'm kind of glad it's gone like that because it's been fun and unexpected, i just enjoyed being out there travelling and seeing new places in the winter, Kind of just going along with it and seeing what happens. I started out in Norway kind of expecting going as far north as possible will be snow sure for early season and a great place for some quiet practice sessions, It was snowy but the snow had only just started to fall arctic style the week i arrived which means everywhere was still preparing to open for the season, Bad timing but an amazing trip which i definitely made the most of, Arctic Norway was too beautiful i can still see the horizon in my head it was just unforgettable, I hope i get to go back there someday and really get the most out of the amazing terrain for snowboarding. I've been trying to convince my snow pals to join me and go there again but Norway is not a cheap trip and the best time to go which is spring is the wrong end for having any money after the regular season, Also there is just so much to do it would be a shame to go there for a short time. 

I went on a trip to Courchevel in France in January to meet and stay with an ol rider Damien, The travel was seriously long, I thought i'd save a little money travelling by train via London and Eurostar, I still can't believe i made it there and back, The journey took something like 16 hours altogether with 3 changes and a little help from a very friendly guy in Paris train station who saved my ass from missing the train to the alps by walking me the full way across the station to my platform. The snow was pretty average, the weather was warm but kind of nice for a relaxing ride for a few days, not good freeride weather. After the 2nd day the clouds opened and we had powder days for the rest of the week but i managed to damage my board quite badly on the hazardous sneaky rocks under the powder. It was really nice though just spending time relaxing with good people in the alps, I met a load of new guys out there who actually inspired me to make the most of the time during not just the winter season but every season, I mean i met basejumpers, Motocross riders, paragliders, I started to think i've been missing way too much fun in the summer. Courchevel was nice though, I still prefer the small resorts but it was a good experience to see a mega resort and also see how the other side live, Even though we spent most money in the spar downtown haha. The last night we went bowling and for some drinks and i was so wasted and probably a new record of wasted, I got back in to Damien’s place and spent at least 3 hours in the bathroom, Slept for around 4 hours and then woke up still drunk in a mad panic trying to get my shit packed so everything was simply launched inside the bag and i wobbled along to the bus station to catch my bus connection back to the train. I didn't really start to come around until i made it back to London, Tired, thirsty and drained, I know i was a mess the whole way, I don't want to feel like that again too soon. 

We then tried an attempt to summit Glencoe which turned out disastrous and we had to abandon ship because of extreme weather early February. The conditions are better than ever in Scotland but with the snow comes the wind and it's crazy windy up there right now, I knew it was a bad idea really to try and summit, Maybe next time i should choose riding partners with the right attitude to riding and the mountain, Always stick to your guns on this one because wrong judgement can lead to mistakes. 

I am still not feeling 100% from last season, I had quite a few slams last season and my lower back is still feeling really tense, I can't explain it, I can ride just fine and it doesn't affect my riding but i just get achey now and again when i'm in one position for too long, I've started to do some stretches more and even some yoga type positions to try and loosen up. I went to the doctors over it and he says there is nothing really out of the ordinary but i just gotta see how i hold up, I guess until i'm in extreme pain they won't do anything about it. I'm really happy with my riding and my board right now though, I've got a good balance and i'm one with the board, The flex is kind of stiff but i like it for powder tricks and grabs, The base is really fast and unforgiving so commitment is everything once you have chosen a line. My team have been really supportive and i'm really happy to be a part of such a positive group of people enjoying snowboarding and life without the seriousness of competition etc. 

I really do like competition, A part of me is saying stop because it's more hassle than it's worth but i like the fun of travelling to new places, riding new lines and meeting new people, For me this is what its all about, The result is not so much important right now but i want to be at least enjoying the line rather than having doubts etc and also just give it as much as i can, If both of these don't come in sync i already know it's not really going to be my day. I do want to take some time out though and just go and enjoy travelling and riding for a season without any pressures of the comps and discover the wilderness of the mountains again, There are so many places i want to visit such as Macedonia, Greece, Greenland, Japan, Bulgaria and many i can't even think of right now but of course i only have so much time and money, I need to think about where i want to be between now and autumn and prepare myself for the year and life ahead. Competition is inside me because i have the desire to push myself to the best of my abilities, This is the reason i started snowboarding in the first place and freeride because i wanted the ultimate challenge of pushing mind and body beyond normal limits and do the almost impossible. I know i still have a lot more to learn and experience but also i would love to focus on filming and create a documentary of our travels, Hopefully the team will get together in the near future to create a nice video piece on our lifestyles and travels because there is still so much to say about us as riders which can't fully be explained until you hear us speaking about our lifestyles and background. 

Very soon i will start my FWQ campaign in Bansko, Bulgaria for the first stop, the organisation so far has been very confusing and a little disappointing to be honest but hopefully i get there without too many issues but i could have done without the added stress. The next stop will be Glencoe for the British FWQ event, The conditions are great up there right now, Let’s hope the wind holds off for the event but if the weather plays nice this should be a great event, I have some unfinished business for this event after my tomahawk drop last season so i'm really out for the win on this one and will be far more competition minded. The following week i will heading over to Stavanger in Norway for the extreme sports festival which also includes my final FWQ event stop as the event is part of the festival, This event i'm a little less prepared for but hopefully the conditions will be great and i go in with confidence and enjoy my line, also have some fun and check out other sports events during the festival and finish my FWQ campaign on a high and a party! 

This doesn't mark the end of snowboarding though, I plan to do some testing with the team in April in the 3 valleys and also go on a little trip back up to Narvik in northern Norway for freeride in the winter sun and a classic bank slalom event. This spring also if the conditions are still good i will go for one last ride in Glencoe and also for a little freestyle on the glaciers of either Cervinia or Saas fee in Switzerland, depending if i'm not completely broke by then which could be a very real situation after all this travelling! But oh well this is the life of a rider! 

So, Next stop Bulgaria! I will keep things updated on my twitter account, watch out for all the piccies and news of the event. Take care and enjoy the season! 

To be continued……

Comments

Popular Posts

Music